A communication bid to your partner that you have 22+ points in your hand. It does not communicate a strong suit.
- With 22+ points with strong suit(s) or the playing equivalent, bid 2♣.
- With 20 points and a balanced hand with stoppers, bid 2NT.
Partners’ response to 2♣:
Option 1 Response (Natural) – Communicate Suit:
- With 0-7 points, pass.
- With 4+ card major, bid naturally in 2♥, 2♠ , 3♣ , & 3♦ or greater level based on your hand points – jump normally. Game forcing!
- ACBL suggests a 5-card suit and 8 points.
- Without a 4 card major, bid artificially 2♦
- With a balanced hand and 8 points, bid 2NT
Note: If Opener rebids above 2♦, then bidding is required to continue to 3 level.
Option 2 Response – Communicate Points – STEPS
- 0-3 pts, bid artificially 2♦
- 4-6 pts, bid artificially 2♥
- 7-9 pts, bid artificially 2♠
- 10 pts, bid 2NT
- Normal NT conventions apply.
- Keep in mind the level point values needed to compete!
With STEPS – how do you communicate a possible suit fit?
Clubs and Diamons are traditional waiting suits.
- NT response – use normal conventions to identify best contract.
- Bid 2♣ to allow partner to identify his/her best suit or as declarer jump to appropriate suit.