We play Five Card Majors, which means:
- One ♣ promises 12+ points and at least 3 ♣
- One ♦ promises 12+ points and at least 3 ♦
- One ♥ promises 12+ points and at least 5 ♥
- One ♠ promises 12+ points and at least 5 ♠
- (Convention: Convenient minor)
- Alt convention: One ♣, for either minor suit.
- Always bid length of suit over point value
- 3 suits being equal, bid suit below singleton (Consider Mini-Roman convention and doubling.)
- Count HCP points, then add length points
- Don’t count length and shortness
- Only consider shortness after suit has been determined. Shortness in trump or ;n is not valuable.
- Consider rebids! (Except for NT)
- Opening with 1 NT with a 5 card major suit is recommended (modern bidding)
- 15-17 points (including length points)
- Preemptive value