Responder cannot introduce a new suit at the 2-level unless the hand meets both requirements:
These are Limit Bids (communicating points & fit).
Remember – partner may only have 3 cards in the suit!
- With 0-5 points, pass.
- With 6-11 points, bid a 4-card major if you have it.
- With 6-11 points, no 4-card major, and even distribution, bid 1NT.
- With 6-11 points, no 4-card major, and uneven distribution, either bid 2 of your partner’s suit or bid the other minor.
- TIP: To overcall at next level, you should have 5 cards in that suit.
- With 12+ points, bid a new suit (forcing) or jump to 2NT (forcing to game)
- With 17+ points, think slam.