There is not a consensus on the point value for opening NT
- 16-18 high card points (don’t count distribution).
- 15-17 HCP not vulnerable / 16-18 points if vulnerable.
- 15-17 points (including length points)
- You should have no voids and no more than 1 singleton or doubleton.
- Balanced hands work best!
- At least 3 suits with 1 stopper each (A, K, Q). Consider partner’s strong suit for 4th suit.
- Opening with 1NT with a 5 card major suit is recommended (modern bidding)
- Opening 2NT
- Not forcing and can be passed
- Important to be a balanced hand
- Contain 20+ points
- Conventions are ON – Stayman and Jacoby Transfers
- Preemptive value
Also see No-Trump Conventional responses: